Thursday, April 17, 2008

So Long and Thanks For All the Fish


Lately our neighbors cat has been trying to adopt us. This morning, I was attempting to write what will be my last blog entry for the Loca Lifestyle Experiment. I am leaving shortly, and Paul and Jessica will be stepping in to see the final preparation of the feast through to its conclusion. As I was assembling my thoughts, the neighbors cat appeared at the door asking to be let in. He begins these visits with a little jump led by his head to meet my hand. From there, I know I’m committed to scratching his ears and chin and talking to him for several minutes. Today, he seems particularly in need of affection and is reluctant to leave. He has fully explored the house, sat on the couch with me, and kneaded the entire surface. Thirty minutes later, I have to resort to clever ways of drawing his attention to the outdoors. I’m feeling slightly guilty now as I’m not sure he truly wanted to return to the wilds just yet.

Cats are opportunists. If things are not working out for them at home, they find someone else to take care of them. I’m not saying my neighbors are not taking care of him, for I’m certain they are. It is just that they have a new member of the family, a young puppy, that might have him feeling a little crowded. So for the time being I’m willing to be the distant relative who takes him in until he feels more reassured. In a similar way, I feel that the Eco-Art class, the umbrella for our project, is very much like that, a temporary home where we are nurtured and encouraged to formulate actions that we can then weave back into our own families and communities upon our return.

During the short life of this project, I have learned from and been inspired by my project partner Paul, from the other eco artists participating in this exhibition who are exploring equally significant issues, from my own experiences seeking out local foods and recipes, and from Andree, our mentor. Andree constantly reminded us that the news can be overwhelming, but stressed optimism, and kept us focusing on hope, always hope, and solutions.

After this experiment, my blinders have been permanently removed in regards to food production and consumption. I was a fairly regular devotee of the farmers market, but I will now look at all those additional, supplemental foods I buy from the grocer differently, and make my selections in a more careful “mind full” manner. I will vote with my feet and support only those grocers that provide local and/or organic. I will read the labels and take particular note of the origins. Also, I will take more time and be careful to not stock my refrigerator and pantry with items that will end up wasted because I haven’t planned well. Recently at a CUESA panel discussion, I heard that our food waste is equal to the footprint of Bangledesh, with a population of 150 million people. According to a recent online article, (www.triplepundit.com/pages/waste-font-ii-by0th-numb-002783.php), “about a quarter of the food we consume and prepare gets tossed into the garbage only 2% of that is composted.” So you can see that simply not wasting can make a significant contribution to reducing your footprint. I am also planning on supplementing our purchased food with what we grow. To that end, we have recently started our compost heap, broke ground to begin our garden, and joined the ecology center to have access to expert resources (www.ecologycenter.org).

I’m sure there will be a few fuzzy blueberries and watery cucumbers that will need to be composted and perhaps a convenience item or two that may slip into my grocery cart in the future, but I am trying. My vision is no longer overcast, it is much clearer. I now see further than the stem of asparagus. I see the farmer and the land and the energy. I think about the origins of the seed, the health of the soil, the planting, the harvesting, the transporting, and time invested so that my family and I might sustain our health with this vibrant, alive, flavorful and succulent food.

To all I give my express thanks and love and encouragement to continue to lead a more awake life,
Kelly (aka Birdwoman)

P.S. Don’t forget if it isn’t local AND organic, remember the locavore pledge (www.locavores.com/who):

If not Locally Produced, then Organic
If not Organic, then Family Farm,
If not Family Farm, then Local Business
If not Local Business, then Fair Trade

1 comment:

Paul Ferguson said...

There is a whole subculture based on our leftover foods called Freegans. http://freegan.info/

I recently watched the documentary "The Gleaners and I" by Agnes Varda. The film compares the long history of gleaning to the recent culture of freeganism. [gleaning is going in after farms have been machine harvested to take for free the leftovers that the machines missed]. Cultures used to support this practice since it helped feed the poor. Now countries are banning the practice so the farms just let the leftover food rot. Such a shame

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247380/


Another good way to get in touch with local food as well as the seasons is to join a CSA. We've belonged to Terra Firma farms for almost 10 years now. http://www.terrafirmafarm.com/

My current big goal is to grow enough produce for ourselves that matchs what we get in the CSA box. That goal is still a few years off. Maybe it will happen once my mini-fruit orchard starts producing and i finally learn how to do winter
veggies.